Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sicilian Meatballs with Homestyle Tomato Sauce

Sicilian Meatballs with Homestyle Tomato Sauce
The picture above shows the meatballs uncooked.

You know that game people play where you ask the question, "If you were on death row, what would be your last meal?"  Well, mine would be eggs benedict no contest, but a lot of people have answered steak oscar, lobster or something covered in chocolate.  Play this game with your friends.  Interestingly, most the choices you hear for last meals are heavy and rich.  Whose gonna order a salad?

A short time ago, I was introduced to real Sicilian meatballs.  They are excellent.  Where I can share the recipe, the source remains anonymous.  Let's just say, it's a family recipe and the way I came about it, I practically had to sign a nondisclosure statement.  If I was ever to reveal the source, somebodies second cousin, maybe named Angelo, would be paying me a visit in a dark alley some evening threatening to break my legs and telling me its a warning.  The meatballs are authentic and my source is trustworthy.  These meatballs are savory and moist with a wonderful exterior.  This family recipe will rival your last meal declared.  I've made a lot of meatballs in my quest for a really good itialian sub sandwich.  This is it.  This is the Godfather of all meatballs.

1 lb ground beef
2 t black pepper
2 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/4 C. fresh chopped parsley
1/2 C. parmesan cheese
1 C. bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/4 C. beef broth

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.  The beef broth is to moisten the meatballs.  Form mixture into 1 inch balls.  Rotate in frying pan until outside is cooked, about 3 minutes.  Place on paper towel and then transfer to foil lined baking sheet.  When all the meatballs are done frying, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.  Make sure that your meatballs are completely cooled prior to placing in the sauce.  If not using sauce, serve immediately.

Homestyle Tomato Sauce

2 28 oz cans tomato puree
1 T. dried oregano
1 t.  onion powder
1 t. salt
1 bay leaf
1/2 C beef broth
1/2 C fresh basil leaves, chopped rough

Using a large dutch oven, add all ingredients, but basil and stir to blend.  Cook over low heat, simmering for one hour and stirring occassionally.  Stir in basil in the last 15 minutes of cooking.  If you are using both the sauce and the meatball recipe together, adjust the spices accordingly so your meatballs are not over powering.



This is a real picture I saw on my way home from my in-laws one evening.  After I stopped howling at the description of the lost item, I had to get out of the car and get a photo.  I'm still laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment