Monday, September 7, 2009

Meat Sauce




What to do with all those tomatoes? Whether you've grown them yourself, you inherit them as gifts from other growers, or you just bought some real beauties at the local market, here is one recipe that is wonderful for pastas, or for the more adventurous, lasagna. It is a little time consuming in the way that it cooks for two hours so be sure to make it when you have the time. The taste is well worth the effort. It also freezes well so you can use it later when the weather really starts to turn and you are looking for that special fix on a weeknight. Just boil up some of your favorite pasta and heat up the sauce and you have a satisfying healthy meal that's delicious. And just so you know, I've made this numerous times for different meals and used it over rotelle, tortollini, linguine, spagetti and lasagna. I have also, at times, substituted 1 cup of broth with 1 cup of red wine and the combination of flavors is amazing. Weeknight or not, open a bottle of red and turn on some Dean Martin. Don't forget the garlic bread!

Meat Sauce

2 count olive oil

1 lb ground meat
Salt & Pepper
1/2 C. celery, finely chopped
1/2 C. onion, finely chopped
1/2 C. carrots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes or 10 fresh chopped tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato paste
4 C. beef stock
2 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
2 t. dried basil
2 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried parsley
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
4 oz. Parmesean Reggiano
Season meat with salt and pepper. Place meat in a deep stew pot and brown. For the vegetables, I usually mince them up pretty small in a Cuisanart. Add onions, carrots and celery and let cook until vegetables are soft. Stir in garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste. Add thyme through red pepper. Simmer for an hour and a half. Stir in parmesan and cook on low for 30 more minutes. Let sit for about 20 minutes prior to serving. Taste........now that's amore!

2 comments:

  1. Trisha, Fran just sent me your food blog link.

    I am loving the photo of the tomatoes - great shot. There is nothing more comforting than a tasty meat sauce... yours sounds delicious. I like that you add the cheese to the sauce and let it simmer for awhile, great idea.

    I am looking forward to your future recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Pam! Thank you. You were an inspiration to me. It only took me a year to get started! Send me your blog link and I will put it on my page!

    ReplyDelete