Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bollos Salados Mexicano

Bollos Salados Mexicano
Bollos Salados Mexicano!  Otherwise known as Savory Mexican Scones.  Ole'!  My sister woke up one morning and asked, "Did you make coffee? Want to make some scones?"  I wasn't thinking savory at all.  I'de made a left turn after coffee and was off-roading somewhere in the distant reality.  I'de been up with my son who has decided that daybreak is as good a time as any to announce to the household that he's done sleeping, ready to have breakfast and play with toy cars.  Coffee?  Yes.  Scones?  Yes, go down the street to the corner coffee shop and buy me one for now and one for later.  Staring at her over my coffee cup, I relented.  What else is there to do at 5:30 in the morning? "I'm game."
The scones were a miracle because we threw this recipe together after researching two or three of them on the internet.  They are so good and versatile that we decided they were worthy of making over and over again. I admit, we sort of turned them mexican because it was the only cheese flavor I had other than some gourmet stuff that seemed too expensive to be part of a scone.  I invite you to try the "base recipe"* (that means, add the ingredients right up to the mexican part) and put your own savory ingredients: thyme, rosemary, sage, sausage, ham, grated parmesan, grated fontina, etc.  C'mon.  You know you want to. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3 C. Flour
1 T. Baking Powder
1 t. Salt
1 t. Freshly Ground Pepper
1/4 C. Butter, cubed and refridgerated
2 C. Grated Mexican Cheese
3 or 4 Green Onions, sliced thin and sauteed or a small can of Green Chilies
4 Slices of Bacon
2 T. Sour Cream
1 1/4 C. Heavy Cream
1/4 C. Flour
1 Egg
2 t. water

In a standing mixer with paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder salt and pepper.  Blend ingredients together.  While mixer is running on low, slowly add in the butter cubes one at a time.  The butter and flour mixture should look like course meal with some bigger lumps.

*At this time, you can add any ingredients you want to as I mentioned above.*  If you are going to continue with this recipe, add the cheese, onions and bacon.  Mix until just combined.  Be careful not to over mix as these are scones and they will be tough if you are heavy handed.  Nice and easy.  Add in the sour cream and heavy cream and lightly mix until dough starts forming and you can shape it.  Remove from bowl onto floured surface and shape into flat square, about an inch high.  Cut into wedges.  In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water to form glaze and brush over wedges.  Place wedges on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until firm.  These scones are good served warm.  I have taken them to work with me the next day, but remember to  refridgerate them if they contain a meat product.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment