Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gwak! Ole! Guacamole!!


This is the first time I've ever made guacamole lake side. 

We were staying in a condo which happened to be about 30 feet from the lake and a couple miles from a local grocer.  That morning, I took the kids in the "In Step" bike buggy to round up some real coffee and ran into my favorite corn chips.  As if on auto pilot, or perhaps it was because it was the crack of dawn, I also grabbed a couple avocados.  I was on vacation.  If I could spare the time, I may make guacamole at some point during my trip.  But then again, my sun schedule, my floatie floatilla time or my pool time may get in the way.  Either way, I'de be prepared.

Later that afternoon, I piled all the ingredients in a mixing bowl on a cutting board and headed out onto the patio.  I sat in the shade with the sun on my back looking out over the lake, drinking champagne out of a frosted, plastic, froo foo margarita glass, slicing into perfectly ripened avocados.  I was using a knife that belonged to my sister who vehemently warned me numerous times (it really was more like an untempered scolding) would cut my head off if I wasn't "careful".  This was it!  It was the most relaxing moment of my life in the last year.  

I really should have called it "Lakeside Guacamole", but I thought that would have made my readers feel like they needed a lake to make this.  Not true.  You can make this anywhere!

Gwak! Ole! Guacamole!!

2 ripe avocados
juice from half a lemon
1 roma tomato gutted and diced small
1/4 large red onion, diced small
1/4 C. cilantro, chopped as desired
two dashes onion powder
two dashes garlic salt

Using the knife you can cut your head off with if your not careful, slice the avocados in half lengthwise and twist halves of avocados apart from each other.  If you are right handed, take the half of the avocado with the pit and place it in your hand pit side up.  Using the knife you can cut your head off with if your not careful, slam the cutting blade into the pit until it sticks and twist the pit out.  Carefully remove the pit from the knife edge.
Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado into the bowl and roughly mash.  Add lemon juice, tomato, onions, cilantro onion powder and garlic salt and gently mix until blended.  Serve with your favorite chips, lakeside!
Tip!  The reason why you use lemon juice is to keep the color of the guacamole looking edible.  Avocados tend to oxidize and turn a kind of murky brown or black color which is still good, but completely unappetizing.  Some say to leave the pit in the bowl with the dip and it will retain it's color.  I think that would just look rediculous, so I use the lemon.


 

Gwak! Ole! Guacamole! is featured in the picture here in "two shell tacos" where there is two shells.  One is the hard shell which is encased in the soft shell.  The soft shell here is very lightly fried in canola oil.  To assemble, I layed the fried shell on a plate, smeared a layer of fat free refried black beans, and folded it around a hard taco shell.  Fill the hard shell with the taco ingredients of choice.  I like guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo.  Accompany with beef, chicken or turkey taco meat, fresh diced tomato and cheese.  Tacos are a hit in my home.  Fried tacos are a special treat.  This night, I was dining alone and yes, I made them just for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment