Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Topping

Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Topping

The holidays are officially here.  Roll up your sleeves and get ready for a wonderful season in the kitchen!  Isn't that the heart of the home where all good things are made? 

For Thanksgiving this year, my family is going to my in-laws for dinner.  I may have mentioned this before about my entire family pitching in to contribute to a great dinner.  Lucky for me, I am in the midst of some great cooks and I learn a lot from them.

This year, I offered to bring the pumpkin pie, among some other things that are tradition in my family.  This is a rather bold move for me because my sister-in-law, Shonnie, makes great pies.  If making a pumpkin pie alone was all I had to worry about I'de be okay, but to top it, her dad makes the "real deal" pumpkin pie straight from the pumpkin!  So, I had to come up with a recipe to top all great pumpkin pies and those made with real pumpkin because I don't have the time to wrestle with one and Libby's is my friend.  At first I was thinking something with rum would be good, but after putting down my eggnog, I came up with THIS!  The biggest mistake you can make right now is to look away.  You and your guests are going to think this is the best pumpkin pie ever.  It's a showstopper and beats the heck out of a cardboard tasting store bought one any day!  For those of you who like pumpkin and pecan pies, it's like getting two for one!

In case you are curious, my other family food traditions for Thanksgiving include my mother's not-so-secret, but very famous cranberry sauce recipe which can be found on the back of the Ocean Spray bag only instead of using water, she used orange juice and cut the sugar by 1/4 cup.  Delish.  Also, the traditional green bean bake with the french fried onions on the top which, not surprisingly, also can be found on the back of the French's can.  Among the blessings in my life that I remember and giving thanks for my family and our health, there is a part of me that thanks the good Lord above for Thanksgiving dinner.  Can't wait!

Ingredients:

Topping
1/2 C. pecan pieces
1/4 C. (packed) brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 t. salt


Filling
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
1 can packed pumpkin
1 t. vanilla
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream


Crust
1 12-inch round Pie Crust

Directions:
For topping, combine all ingredients, blend and set aside.  For filling, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth, about two minutes.  Pour into prepared or prebaked pie crust.  Bake pie at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Remove pie from oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.  Add pecan topping mixture to the top of your pie and place it back in the over to bake for 10 - 15 more minutes.  Keep an eye on the crust and cover slightly with aluminum foil if the crust is browning too much for your taste.  When the pie has completed cooking, set on rack to cool completely.  Refrigerate if you are not going to eat it immediately. Serve with real whipping cream.  Enjoy!

Tree picture courtesy Shane Boyd, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment