Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Thief Cookie

The Thief Cookie

I received a gift of inspiration this holiday season from a special friend of mine.  She is the kind of friend everyone should have.  We didn't always know each other well until about a year ago, but since then, she and I have come to have the deepest of respect and appreciation for one another.  Her thoughtfulness and quick wit charms me.  She has laughter in her eyes, a terrific smile and a great attitude.  You gotta love that kind of character. 

She gave me a gift in a jar that was the same jar I had given to her this summer when I made pickles.  She said to me, "You never return a jar without something home made in it."  See?  I told you she was thoughtful!  What great advice.  In the jar was a cookie mix with instructions that said to basically add the wet ingredients, mix and bake.  My four year old looked upon the mix like magic in a jar which must be pried open and mixed up immediately.  Make haste!!

Too timid to ask my wonderfully thoughtful and very wise friend for the recipe, I went to work disecting the ingredients and came up with this recipe.  I've now made them three times since the original jar cookie.  Every time I take them from the oven and let them cool on a rack on the kitchen counter, I wonder off to do some laundry or pick up some toys and put them away and I come back to the kitchen and some are missing.  You won't be able to let these cool on the counter before someone is in to them.  It's crazy how fast they disappear and then you have eager guilty faces (usually smeared with crumbs and chocolate) asking you to make more.  Just be sure you get one...or six.

Ingredients
1 C. shortening
2 eggs
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 3/4 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 C. quick cooking oats
3/4 C. sweetened coconut
8 oz. chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a standing mixer, cream together shortening, eggs, sugars and vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.  Slowly add dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) to the mixing bowl and gently combine on low speed.  Pull mixing bowl from stand and using a rubber spatula, fold in chocolate chips.  Roll cookie dough into one inch balls and place on cookie sheet.  Bake for 9 minutes or until slightly golden brown.  Remove from oven and place on cooling rack in empty kitchen and don't take your eyes off them  until they are cool enough to handle and store.  Hide them from everyone until devoured.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment