Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Weekend Blueberry Scones


There is a little coffee shop out in the country close to where I live. Early in the morning on weekends, I would get into the car in my jammies and go for coffee and a newspaper. One day, I was offered a warmed blueberry scone. It was delicious. Heaven in your hand. A few weekends of blueberry sweetness and I was obsessed. Soft and moist, sweet and fresh. Coffee in one hand, scone in the other. Tasting and sipping and biting off pieces that would melt in your mouth. My visits became more frequent and hasty. I started going a few times on the weekend, then during the week. I was hiding it from my friends and family because the little coffee shop only received so many from their "source" in a neighboring town and I didn't want to tell anyone about how good they were because God forbid they ever run out. These scones made you feel good all over. Those of you who know a good scone know just what I mean. I couldn't keep up. I had to either somehow get the recipe or create one of my own. Surprisingly, they weren't going to "give it away" to crazy scone-obsessed women like me so I was going to have to find my own way. What used to be a casual weekend routine turned out to be a quest for scone dissection. What was it about these scones that I loved? Dangerously close to succombing to scone madness and fourteen batches and several taste tests later, I finally got it right. To help preserve your dignity and last shred of self respect, I hand this recipe off to you. Keep it safe and only make them for the most deserving.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Special note: Be sure to roll the blueberries around in a small bowl with flour prior to getting started. This simple step will keep them from sinking to the bottom of your scone while they cook. Also, start your coffee when they go into the oven so you are prepared for the tasting when they come out!

Sift together in a large bowl:

2 C. SoftasSilk flour

4 t. Baking powder

1 t. Salt

3/4 C. Granulated Sugar

Cut in:

4 T. Butter

2 T. Shortening

In a separate bowl, beat together:

3/4 C. Milk

1 Egg

1 t. Vanilla

1 t. Lemon zest

Add wet ingredients to dry and carefully fold together. Slowly add 1 and 3/4 C. blueberries. Mix carefully. Do not overmix or you will break the berries and your scones will look like they need to see a doctor. Place scones on a floured board and use your hand to flatten out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut scones with large cookie cutter or with a knife into desired shape and place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 11 - 13 minutes. After cooling, roll scones in powdered sugar or make a sugar glaze and drizzle over the top. In my family, we think they are perfect right from the oven, just as they are. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment