Saturday, August 29, 2009

7 Deadly Zins

I have a confession to make. I came across this bottle of wine at a Seattle area restaurant while eating dinner with a group of friends a few weeks ago. Upon hearing the term "zinfandel", my mind immediately thought of the 1980s. I was 12 years old in the eighties, so what did I know about wine? Despite my curious nature to try new things and my special interest in wine, particularly reds, I was not moved by the request. "Excellent choice" said the sommelier as she left the table. I admit, I didn't think much of the selection or the sommelier's comment. Everyone is always trying to pump up nothing to be something when they're trying to score and I hated the eighties. I became impressed at the amount of conversation and anticipation that was generated by the title, and trying not to be rude, reluctantly I managed a "courtesy sip". The following day, I went to my local grocer and bought three bottles. I couldn't be stopped. The hoarder in me knows when something is good and I wasn't about to miss out. I haven't learned anything about keeping my opinions to myself or you wouldn't be reading this, however, I do confess. My hasty and snobbish impression of this wine was crap. I mean, I hadn't even tasted it yet! I have since discovered that this is one of the best wines out there for the money.

Seven Deadly Zins is as sinfully delicious as they say and believed to be true. And that good opinion isn't crap! It's a captivating blend of Old Vine Zinfandels. A grand idea conjured up by a couple of Catholic brothers. They decided to take the most superior grapes from seven of Lodi's most renowned growers. These fruits give life to what we now know as 7 Deadly Zins. This wine demands respect and it is well worth your money. It's always the Catholics isn't it?

"Schulenburg's vines, grubby with GREED,Embrace Lodi's soil, to drink and to feed. Oh Lord, forgive me my zin. Secure in it's strength, weathered with PRIDE, Standing like soldiers, the forest of Snyde. Oh Lord, forgive me my zin.Hearts filled with LUST, ole Maley's trees. Court Lodi's sun, and flirt with it's breeze. Oh Lord, forgive me my zin. Good Bishofberger did raise some GLUTTONOUS beast, Vines fattened like turkeys before Thanksgiving feast. Oh Lord, forgive me my zin. With the tilt of the glass, I commit seven zins, Oh Lord, with your help... I'll do it again." http://www.lodivineyards.com/7deadly.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment