Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Maple Oatmeal Scones

Maple Oatmeal Scones

I made these scones late one evening this week.  Everyone had gone to bed already and I was up trying to get work off my mind.  Before too long, the sweet aroma of maple was drifting though the house. 

A tree line on my property. 
Picture taken in Fall 2009.
As a little girl, I remember being tucked in my bed upstairs for the night and my mother would be downstairs in the kitchen making wonderful things that filled up the house with warmth and dreamy memories.  Oh, my sweet reverie.  The reflection of my history carries me back to a time when my world was carefree, playful and free of responsibility.  I wonder if it is those memories coupled with the fragrance of days gone by that delivers us to that restful state of happiness and blissful relaxation and contentment.  That feeling of being at peace.  The feeling of home.



Barn and Mount Baker, 2009
Ingredients
1 3/4 C. flour
1/2 C. whole-wheat flour
3/4 C. quick cooking oats
3 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 sticks cold butter (1/2 lb), cubed
1/2 C. buttermilk
1/4 C. maple syrup
1 t. maple extract
2 eggs

Glaze
1 1/4 C. powdered sugar
1/2 C. maple syrup
1 t. maple extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Using your electric mixer, add the flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Blend together until mixed.  Add cubed butter and mix on low until the dough looks like small pieces.  Add the buttermilk, syrup, extract and eggs and blend until just combined.  Do not over-mix or your scones will be tough.  Remove dough carefully from mixing bowl onto floured surface.  Cover hands and rolling pin with flour and roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick.  Cut in circular shape using large round cookie cutter or in triangles.  Place on prepared cookie sheet.  Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges just start to brown.  When warm, but not hot, drizzle glaze over the tops and let them cool to set.  Makes 18.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment